Reporting Accidents and Dangerous Occurrences

Notifiying NOPSEMA of an accident or dangerous occurrence

Accidents and dangerous occurrences can be notified to NOPSEMA by any suitable means. For the convenience of duty holders NOPSEMA has a dedicated phone line:

(08) 6461 7090

This line will be answered directly during office hours (WST). Outside office hours a menu system will allow callers to leave a voicemail recorded message requesting a call back, but if the matter is particularly urgent, such as fatalities, serious injuries or an emergency abandonment, the caller can have the call automatically diverted to a NOPSEMA representative. NOPSEMA monitors recorded messages at intervals of less than 10 hours.

Submission of incident reports

Secure File Transfer is now NOPSEMA’s preferred method for delivery of all electronic document submissions.

For the submission of three day or final incident reports (also referred to as Final Incident or Root Cause Analysis Reports) please use our Secure File Transfer service.

We also accept submissions at the following mail address:

Routine enquiries

For routine enquiries please call NOPSEMA during business hours:

  • Perth: 08 6188 8700 (Head Office)

  • Melbourne: 03 8866 5700

Reporting guidelines

We have provided Guidance Notes (GN0099) for reporting accidents and dangerous occurrences. A template form (FM0831) may be used when reporting incidents to NOPSEMA, provided in MS Word format.

Monthly summary

Operators of offshore facilities are required to submit a monthly summary of incident information. The timing and format of this report are described in the Monthly Reporting Summary Guideline (GL0033). We recommend the use of the template (FM0522) provided in MS Word format.

For offshore facilities in State or Northern Territory designated coastal waters (other than Victorian designated coastal waters), operators are required to make notifications and submit reports on accidents and dangerous occurrences (including monthly summaries of incident information) to the relevant State or Northern Territory agency.  For example, for Western Australian designated waters notifications and reports are to be made to the WA Department of Mines and Petroleum:  For activities in Victorian designated coastal waters, operators are required to make notifications and submit reports on accidents and dangerous occurances (including monthly summaries of incident information) to NOPSEMA.