Reconciliation Action Plan
NOPSEMA started its reconciliation journey in December 2021 when we published our first Reflect Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP). To confirm our ongoing commitment to reconciliation while developing our next RAP, we are publishing this Statement of Commitment to Reconciliation.
Statement of Commitment to Reconciliation
NOPSEMA recognises the First Peoples of this nation and their ongoing connection to culture and country. We acknowledge First Nations Peoples as the Traditional Owners, Custodians and Lore Keepers of the world's oldest living culture and pay respects to their Elders past, present and emerging.
NOPSEMA commits to continue to develop a greater understanding of First Nations’ culture and to drive awareness and competence within our workforce to help strengthen our relationships with First Nations Peoples. We aim to build a strong and meaningful foundation of reconciliation for the organisation to strengthen future RAPs and reconciliation initiatives.
In 2022 NOPSEMA became a member of Reconciliation WA and we continue to work to increase our participation in activities and events during National Reconciliation Week and NAIDOC weeks, develop our internal cultural awareness education and continue to fundraise for the Happy Boxes Project.
In undertaking its regulatory activities, NOPSEMA is also committed to ensuring that offshore energy companies recognise the importance of appropriately considering and managing impacts on Indigenous cultural values of the environment and that appropriate and meaningful consultation has been undertaken with First Nations peoples who may be affected by an activity.
In developing our next RAP we will align our initiatives with NOPSEMA's values:
- Professionalism | We will be accountable, consistent, reasonable and act in accordance with the law.
- Ethics | We will demonstrate respect and integrity in all we do.
- Independence | We will make our decisions impartially on the merits of the circumstances, and without undue influence.
- Leadership | We will be proactive, inclusive and decisive in our conduct as a pre-eminent regulator.
- Collegiality | We will make and act on informed decisions through open and respectful dialogue.