Raise a safety concern

What should I do if I have a safety concern?

Continued safe operation of offshore petroleum facilities depends on the willingness of all members of the workforce to identify and report safety concerns, and for facility management to resolve those concerns.

Offshore facilities should have processes in place to ensure that concerns are reported and resolved in a timely manner.

In general, safety concerns should be promptly and constructively raised with your Health and Safety Representative (HSR), your supervisor, or the health and safety committee.

In our experience, almost every safety concern can be resolved through the workplace arrangements on a facility, when those arrangements are working properly.

However, if you are unsatisfied with the response you have received you can escalate the matter to NOPSEMA.

How to contact NOPSEMA

To escalate a concern to NOPSEMA use our online form.

To notify NOPSEMA of your concern call NOPSEMA’s dedicated incident notification phone line on 1300 674 472. This line will be answered directly, at any time, depending on the type of incident chosen from the menu options.

Outside of office hours, on weekends and public holidays, the duty holder may leave a voicemail with their contact details and, dependent on the incident, their call will be returned within 2 hours (from 0800hrs to 2200hrs AWST). All other calls will be returned as soon as possible on the following day.

If you are unable to telephone, the next best option is email. This allows us to respond to you and gather more information about your concern, and to update you on any outcomes. Our email address is

Where telephone and email contact is not possible, we have developed an online form which is currently being implemented on a trial basis. Please provide as much detail as possible, and include a way for us to contact you for further information. You can also tell us when you would prefer us to contact you, for example by providing us with dates when you will be off-swing, if that is your preference.

NOPSEMA's jurisdiction

NOPSEMA's jurisdiction includes the health and safety of people while they are physically located at or near an offshore facility. Concerns relating to these matters should be addressed to NOPSEMA and will be considered and dealt with according to our usual processes.

Concerns relating to industrial relations matters, such as pay and other workplace entitlements, should be referred to the relevant industrial relations body. Matters relating to onshore health and safety arrangements should be referred to the relevant state safety regulator.

Will NOPSEMA protect my identity?

If you do not want us to disclose your identity, you can inform us of this during the telephone or email contact, or by selecting the check box on the form. We will then make every effort to safeguard your identity.

We recognise that, in some situations, facility management may be able to guess the identity of an individual from the nature of the concern being raised. In these situations, we will talk with you to explore the range of possible responses and identify which option is preferable.

If you choose not to disclose your name or decline to provide any contact information to NOPSEMA, please be aware that this may significantly limit our ability to act in response to your concern.  

Page last updated: June 13, 2021 11:45am