VIC/P70 Exploration Drilling
- Activity name
- VIC/P70 Exploration Drilling
- Activity types
- Submitted by
- Esso Deepwater Gippsland Pty Ltd
- Submission date
- Submission type
- Revision (Change of Circumstances or Operations)
- Under assessment
- Related documents
- Link to previously accepted EP
- Baldfish Drilling
- Progress bar
SubmissionAssessment with NOPSEMAFinal decisionEP summary publishedActivity startedActivity stoppedEnd of operation of EP
|Event||Event date||Next event*||Next event due*||Related documents|
|Submission of new EP||21/02/2019||NOPSEMA decision||25/03/2019||Not applicable|
* The next event is based on NOPSEMA’s understanding and expectation of what may occur next in the assessment process. There are a number of other events that may occur, and events may happen sooner or later than expected. All events will be published in this table as and when they take place.
- Activity description
The VIC/P70 exploration drilling operational area is located approximately 90 - 100 km from shore in Exploration Permit Area VIC/P70. Water depth within VIC/P70 ranges from 200 m to over 3 km, with the drill locations, Hairtail-1, Baldfish-1 and Sculpin-1, at ~359m, ~665m and ~2,300m respectively.
Block VIC/P70, in the deepwater Gippsland basin, was acquired by Esso Deepwater, a wholly owned subsidiary of Exxon Mobil Corporation, in 2Q, 2017.
VIC/P70 contains the Dory, Angel and Archer-Anemone fields, as well as the Fangtooth prospect, and incorporates the area previously the subject of blocks VIC/P45 and VIC/P59, previously explored by Apache Energy (Apache, 2008).
Exploration drilling activities in the VIC/P70 Operational area are scheduled over an estimated 60 day period, commencing in Q3, 2018 (Baldfish-1 and Hairtail-1), and an estimated 60-65 days in late Q2 - early Q3, 2019 for Sculpin-1.
- Commonwealth waters adjacent to
- Titles (or other instruments)
- VIC/P70 Opens in new window
Ms Carolyn Thomas
Risk, Environment and Regulatory Supervisor
Esso Australia Pty Ltd for and on behalf of Esso Deepwater Gippsland Pty Ltd
Level 9, 664 Collins Street
DOCKLANDS VIC 3000
Telephone: +61 3 9261 0260
*Where an environment plan was submitted or accepted prior to 28 February 2014 certain information is not published, in accordance with the Environment Regulations in place at that time. For accepted EPs, refer to the attached EP Summary for additional information.